Friday, August 15, 2014

Grave of the Fireflies [Film Review]


This may be the first time I've ever had to hold back tears. Normally I like to cry during a film, it's a nice release. I'm not shy about it, I don't ever try to hold it back. But I think if I had fully let myself go during this film, I may have just cried my eyes out.

Now, the fact that I cry during one film more than the other doesn't make either film better. For example, I cry less during Magnolia than I did during this, but I still think Magnolia's a better film. But this is in fact a great film. Yet another addition to my Five-Star Club. That makes three within one week.

I had  Grave of the Fireflies recommended to me over a year ago, by a friend who called it one of the biggest tear-jerkers ever. I brushed off the statement, as many have said the same about other movies which I don't cry during (for example, The Lion King, which I find to be enormously overrated).

Now, having watched the film, I know he was right. It is such an enormously tragic and dark story. No matter your position on World War II and who was right, you can't help but feel bad for these people. This depressing story of a brother and sister just trying to survive is truly heartbreaking.

There's not much that I can say on the film that's unique. It's already been claimed by many as a tearjerker, as one of the greatest movies ever and so on. What I can say has been likely been said before, but I'll say it nonetheless: Grave of the Fireflies is one of the best movies I've seen, but it's unlikely that I'll watch unless I really just feel like crying for some reason or I'm introducing a friend to this magnificent work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment