Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Man on Fire [Film Review]

This is counted as one of the few times I have ever hated the cinematography in a film. I mean, most films have pretty good cinematography, even some of the worst films ever have at least decent cinematography.

But Tony Scott... Tony dang Scott ticks me off. I mean, his style was enjoyable in The Taking of Pelham 123, at least it was for me. But here, it is just so wild and the editing is so horrid and it just barrages you. It is an obnoxious type of visuals that is intended to excite the audience but at least for me, it just serves to make the film more unpleasant.

Aside from that, as a film is not simply dependent only on cinematography, the film is still rather disappointing. It's a highly unoriginal, slow, and rather unpleasant story. There's hardly any character development, and a majority of the film is spent with the main character interrogating characters and then killing them.

The music sports one of the worst  uses of Clair De Lune I've seen in film, and there have been MANY uses of that beautiful composition in film. But, fortunately, it does feature a use of Oyo Como Va, a song used in The Big Lebowski which was at the very least entertaining.

Man on Fire is a dull, uninteresting and all-around obnoxious film. I can't believe some people have given this a five-star film. Sure, it has a few somewhat deep moment now and then, but in the entire context of the film it's just... really, the best word I can use to describe the film, and I've already used it at least twice in this review, is obnoxious. I just can't bare it, and I definitely don't want to watch it again, nor would I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment