Sunday, August 10, 2014

O Brother, Where Art Thou [Film Review]

     I have put off giving this a five star rating for quite a while. And I really don't know why, because it is an incredible film that possesses a lot of the same excellence that other Coen brothers films. It's seriously my family's favorite film. Likely the film that my mother and I agree most on. It is really one of their finest films.
     It is in all ways tremendous. The dialogue first of all, is brilliant as it always is with the Coens. Every line is genius. The cinematography is beautiful and the portrayal of nature with the digital coloring is some of Deakins' best work.
     And the soundtrack. That soundtrack. Seriously, that soundtrack is just utterly incredible. Perfect is a good word for it. It's filled with folk songs and the primary song, Man of Constant Sorrow is tremendous.
     The cast contains many enormously talented actors that show a lot of skill in both dramatic and comedic roles, often both in one. John Turturro, John Goodman and George Clooney are all stupendous, and while Tim Blake Nelson is not really as good as the actors surrounding him, he certainly does bring something to the table.
     This comedic retelling of Homer's Odyssey is a classic. It never gets old, and I have seen it at least twenty times. Highly entertaining and a point of connection between my interests and my family's interests, this is a true five star film, and has been deserving of that rating all this time that I've been denying it that position.

Welcome to the five star club, O Brother, Where Art Thou.

No comments:

Post a Comment