Friday, August 8, 2014

Insidious: Chapter 2 [Film Review]

This is not my definition of a good horror movie. But then again, only one film to my recollection has met my standards for a good horror movie, and that's The Shining.

Horror is in fact my least favorite genre. And it's not because I don't like to be scared. I love to be scared. But I like to be horrified, I want to be in genuine shock. This stuff here? This is what I call 'boo' scares.

Insidious: Chapter 2 is composed nearly entirely out of that type of scare. It exercises silence and darkness, and then it raises the volume suddenly and goes boo. Ah. Behold the horror. *Sarcasm*. I hardly found any of this genuinely horrifying, except one single scene near the end, which was mostly due to Patrick Wilson, who, while not giving an excellent performance, does some incredible facial expressions.

The music is mainly your classic horror movie soundtrack. Composed primarily of shrill violins that are intended to thrill, it becomes really rather dull. Which brings me to another fault of the majority of horror films: they mistake slowness and dullness for suspense.

I don't know, maybe my standards are too high. One could be led to that conclusion because of the fact that I have only really liked a single horror film in my entire life, but there you have it. I really don't think I have standards that are too high. I just want a horror film to leave me shocked and speechless by the end. Which this film does not do. Insidious: Chapter 2 is a dull, ordinary exercise in boo scares.

No comments:

Post a Comment