Friday, September 5, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars [Film Review]

I went into this film expecting to cry. It was odd when posts started popping up a few years ago, my friends stating their anticipation for an upcoming novel to release. A surprisingly large number of my friends were interested in this novel, and I had no idea why. I had never heard of the author, or the book itself, had no idea what it was about, and had no idea why everyone was so dang interested in this random book.

And then a movie was being made for it. And I thought, hey, I can find out what the craze is all about without having to read a book. I really have nothing against reading, it's just difficult for me because when I have free time, I watch movies. I just like to. I prefer to.

So now, having seen the film, I can make a statement on it.

It's not worth all the craze.

I'm sorry to all the devoted fans of the story, the novel and the film. It's good. It's emotional at times, and I'm sure that the novel is much more of an experience. But this film was just not what I was expecting or hoping for.

The main problem I had and the main reason I didn't cry as I expected to, I believe, is the fact that I don't think that the relationship between the two main characters was well developed. For me, we had two fantastic main characters. But the relationship was not founded, but it was simply essential and obvious. It was clearly going to happen. The film just did not spend enough time developing the relationship between the two.

The film does have some decent points. It's rather philosophical at times. But on the other hand, it's painfully cheesy at times. But it strikes a decent balance between the two, and makes for an enjoyable film.

So, instead of giving this a 9/10 or even a 10/10 as both of my brothers would quickly apply to this film, I instead give it an 8/10. It is decent, it is emotional and it was rather beautiful at times. Willem Dafoe was absolutely incredible, as usual. It's just not one of those great relationship films that really catches you, like, say, The Fountain.

2 comments: