Friday, September 19, 2014

Frank [Film Review]

I knew when I saw the trailer it was going to be good, but I didn't expect it to be this abstract and phenomenal. I mean, the idea of Michael Fassbender putting himself inside of a giant fake head to play heavily independent music with a bunch of mental patients is an insane idea for a film in the first place, but it certainly sounds intriguing as heck.

Michael Fassbender's always been amazing. In all of his performances he shows a ton of talent. He made Magneto more awesome than ever in Days of Future Past, and gave one of his best performances in Shame. Of course, this is now my favorite Fassbender performance. I mean how could it not be? WITH THAT FREAKING FIBERGLASS (or papier mache, whichever) HEAD?!

It's got commentary on a lot of things with its ensemble of amazingly eccentric characters... independence, the positives and negatives of publicity, the virtue of being yourself and making something that you enjoy. It has some immensely dramatic scenes, and it's also consistently hilarious, mostly due to Fassbender. Seriously, he is hysterical. I can not emphasize this enough, Fassbender is pretty much the life of this movie, along with the music.

THE MUSIC. As I said before, it's very abstract, and often it seems like the lyrics are complete randomness, but IT WORKS. I don't know how, but it just sounds fantastic. It's incredibly obscure, hard to go along with, but it's fresh and unique. And of course I must address the song everyone's freaking out over, "I Love You All": It's worth freaking out over. Essentially, it's awesome and amazing, but also is like the music I've described above, obscure, random, abstract, fresh, unique.

The ending also almost made me cry. I was tearing up a bit.

This just astonishingly passed up Under the Skin as my third favorite film of 2014, and it's going on my Favorites of All Time list. I wish I had money for the soundtrack, but as an unemployed seventeen year old, I do not have the money (and I live on an indian reservation so I can't really get a job because people here are freaking racist). You've all got to see this movie though.

No comments:

Post a Comment